Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sleepless Nights

     As of yesterday, I am 38 weeks pregnant, counting down to my due date of August 31st. For a while there, I was starting to think that this baby would come earlier than my girls did; perhaps hoping is a better word. It has been a long, hot summer and I am ready to meet our little Jasper!
    I had an appointment with my midwife today and she seems to think that he'll probably be born pretty close to my due date since that is what the girls did. He seems to have settled in rather nicely, and in no hurry to leave. Since Madison was three days early, and Annabelle was three days late, maybe he'll actually be born on the 31st? So for now that means I must exercise patience; such a hard thing to do with long, sleepless nights and tired days.
    The following poem is something I wrote a while back, but it is pretty fitting of my nights lately.

Far-off noises, ceaselessly droning;
weaving in and out of range.
Times of deafening roars,
then loud silence swallowing me whole.
Ears ringing to loud humming,
trying to pull apart the sounds.
Crickets chirp and frogs sing,
the night itself is loud.

1 comment: